Delicious, crispy onion rings are the perfect appetizer for any occasion! Great as a side dish or as an app at your next football party. Our Original Cornbread Crisps add, a sweet touch to a classic favorite!
- 1 large sweet Vidalia onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Farmer’s Pantry Original Cornbread Crisps, crushed
- 1 quart of canola oil for frying
- Cut onions into rings about ¼ of an inch thick, separating them from each other very carefully. This recipe works best with the big and medium sized rings.
Tip: Save excess small small rings in a bag for other recipes that use onions
- Set up the breading station for the onion rings in this order: onions, flour and baking soda bowl, buttermilk, then Farmer’s Pantry Cornbread Crisps crumbs.
- Next, heat your canola oil in a heavy bottomed pan to 375 degrees.
- Once the oil is heated, begin to coat the onions.
- First dip them into the flour, then the buttermilk, and lastly into the crisp crumbs.
- Once coated, add 4-5 into your heated oil.
- Let the onions fry for about 3 minutes.
- Set the fried onions on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Repeat until all your onion rings are fried.